» Transitioning to Your Fall Wardrobe: Five Quick Tips to Revamp Your Closet
Transitioning to Your Fall Wardrobe: Five Quick Tips to Revamp Your Closet
I’m not the biggest fan of the colder temperatures but I love fall clothing; scarves, jackets, boots. I love it all! The change in season also provides a much needed opportunity to declutter my closet. This in turn helps improve my morning routine. I know what I have, where everything is located and items I’m no longer wearing have been donated or consigned. Here’s my method to my twice yearly closet edit:
- Schedule time on your calendar. Block off at least two or more hours depending on the size of your closet and amount of clothes you own. More time if you haven’t attempted this exercise in the last couple of years.
- Clear off a large surface (preferably your bed) then take everything out of your closet and place into categories. All pants together, long sleeve tops together, dresses together etc. If your closet is already organized by category skip to step 4.
- Categorizing your clothes makes it easier to make educated decisions on what needs to go. Maybe you didn’t realize you had five almost identical black pants. Maybe you need to even add a few pieces.
- Assess the value of each piece of clothing. If you haven’t worn it in the last year there’s a reason why. Be ruthless! We all tend to hold on to items for the wrong reasons. Maybe some of these sound familiar?
- It was expensive so I can’t let it go yet. (If you’re no longer wearing it, consider consigning it).
- I’m going to lose weight. (It’s okay to keep a few items in your slimmer size. It’s not okay to keep a whole wardrobe).
- I loved it ten years ago when I bought it and it brings back happy memories. (If you have a photo of you wearing it, keep the photo and donate the item. No photo? Donate it anyway. Ruthless remember?)
- Once you’ve finished editing your clothes, put them back in categories and preferably in color order. We organize by dark to light. (Dark on the left, light on the right). For a professional, aesthetic look we recommend slimline hangers. Guaranteed to transform the look of your closet and put a smile on your face first thing in the morning. Who doesn’t want that?
Don’t have the time or can’t face this task alone? Contact us at 610-753-3553 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closet organization is one of our favorite projects!