Seven Must-Do Steps for an Organized Move
Moving is life’s third most stressful event. Whether you are moving across the country or across the street, moving consists of making thousands of decisions, typically within a short amount of time. Throw in various personalities of your family members along with the physical exhaustion of packing and unpacking and it’s easy to understand why moving produces so much stress and anxiety. Follow these seven steps to alleviate some of the stress:
- Create a Moving Timeline. Whether you have three months or three years a moving timeline keeps you on track, accountable, motivated! First make a list of all the items that need to be accomplished, then schedule a “To be completed by” date for each item on the timeline.
- Begin a ruthless declutter. Begin in the least trafficked rooms and work your way around the room. Only keep the items you love, need, and use. Keep a donation bag on each floor of your home and arrange for frequent donation pickups. (If you live in Center City, make arrangements for frequent donation drop-offs).
- Start packing little-used items. If your realtor requires your home to look more minimal, or if you want to get a head start on packing, start packing items you may be able to live without for several months. Label all boxes on two sides plus the top so it’s easier to identify the contents.
- Contact Your Moving Company. As soon as you know your moving date, contact your selected moving company and ask for a morning start. (Some movers books two moves a day. You want your moving guys to be at their peak energy level).
- Go to USPS.com/move to change your address online.
- Pace Yourself. If you are packing yourself, begin at least 4-6 weeks prior to your move. Begin with all wall art and other items you can live without, then progress to more used rooms and items. Pack up the kitchen last and unpack the kitchen first.
- Don’t have the time, patience, or energy for a DIY move? Contact us and experience the best move of your life!
Finding it challenging to let things go? Read our previous articles, “To Keep or Not to Keep? That is the Question” and “How Much is Enough?”
Click the links below for our recommended must-have packing supplies:
- Moving Boxes: Uhaul get 5 stars from us for quality of their small and medium boxes. They also have holes in the side to facilitate easier grip and carry.
- Packing Paper: Uhaul also make good quality packing paper.
- Packing Tape: No other packing tape comes even close to Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Packaging tape (and we have tried everything!)
- Bubble Wrap: The Home Depot make our favorite bubble wrap. It’s 24” wide with large bubbles and 100% recyclable.